Sunday, January 3, 2010

Roast with Barbeque Sauce

The sauce is what makes this roast so yummy. I got this recipe from my mother-in-law. She adapted it from a recipe she found on Better Homes & Gardens.


2 1/2 cups Beef Broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 2-1/2-pound pot roast
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
5 strips bacon, chopped
1/2 onion, diced

In a crock pot combine roast, 2 cups broth, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and garlic. Reserve 1/2 cup broth for sauce; set aside in refrigerator.

Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.

For sauce, in a saucepan cook bacon until crisp, set aside. Drain excess grease and cook onion until soft. Add the 1/2 cup reserved liquid, bacon, ketchup, brown sugar, and butter. Heat through. Cover meat with sauce before serving. Top with extra sauce.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Hey girl,

I love that I can count on your post every week. How's motherhood treating you?

I'm really excited to try this recipe. I love to cook a roast and I like the recipe I have been using for years, but I've been wanting to change it up. Thanks for sharing.