Sunday, August 14, 2011

Spaghetti Squash "Noodles"

I am crazy for these "noodles" right now!  In an effort to eat better and slim down, I have not been eating any grain-based carbs.  Unfortunately, I have a child who will only eat spaghetti.  Rather then make two meals (no way!) I have been using spaghetti squash for my noodles.  It is so easy and really delicious.  Eating one cup of squash, you will eat 10 grams of carbs vs 40 grams for one cup of spaghetti noodles.  Eat up!


1 medium sized spaghetti squash
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut squash in half, lengthwise.  Scoop out seeds and fibers.  Cook using desired method.  Allow to cool for about 10 minutes then shred the flesh with a fork.  Season squash with salt and pepper and top with sauce

Bake: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Using a 9x13 glass dish, add 1 inch of water to the bottom and place squash cut-side down.  Bake for 40 minutes or until the skin in easily pierced with a fork.

Pressure Cooker: (don't be afraid, this is my preferred method) Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the pressure cooker.  Add squash cut-side down.  Once the cooker reaches pressure cook for 10-12 minutes.

Microwave:  Pierce multiple times with a fork.  Microwave each half for 6-8 minutes, until soft.

Photo Credit

2 comments:

Leilani Bascom said...

Yummy, yummy. This is one of my favorite recipes ever. Jenn used to make it, and it's really so easy. I don't know why I haven't made this for ages, I forget about all the foods I like, ha ha.

Janie said...

I love spaghetti squash too! Thanks for the reminder and the tip about the pressure cooker.